Duration of assignment (months):18 (6 months no cost extension)
Start date (month/year): July 2011
Completion date (month/year): July 2013
Narrative Description of Project:
Nepal is one of the most vulnerable countries to climate change primarily due to its fragile mountain ecosystems and low economic and institutional capacity to adapt. There is an urgent need to generate knowledge and design management techniques, technological innovations, and establish institutional arrangements in order to strengthen the country’s capacity to adapt the impact of climate change with environmental changes.
The project focused on activities related to knowledge generation which included mobilization of expertise and skills from various disciplines (such as climate science, environmental impact analysis, environmental economics, institutions, and policy) and sectors. The project supported to 25 young researchers to conduct climate change related research activities throughout Nepal. This project was also linked to the establishment of a climate change knowledge management platform under the expanded National Adaptation Programme of Action (NAPA) process, which is being implemented by the Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (MoSTE) and supported by the Embassy of Denmark in Kathmandu, UK Department of International Development, Global Environment Fund, and UNDP Nepal.
Description of actual services provided in the assignment:
- Capacity building for 7 NCCKMC staff members
- Climate change learning for up to 25 young researchers
- Organize 3 learning events/seminars targeting policymakers
- Popularizing and/or translating 3 documents/materials that are relevant to helping stakeholder respond to climate change into local languages
- Sharing and dissemination of popular materials through mobile libraries to at least 1500 individuals
- An inception report as an operational document.
- A final project report at the end of the project that documents the activities conducted discussed M&R results and captures the learning from M&E.
- Using the Nepal Climate Change and Development Portal by NCCKMC to disseminate knowledge products, news, and announcements about project activities to a wider climate change community of practice in Nepal.